Year 3: Spring Curriculum Letter
We hope you have had a fantastic break and welcome back. We are looking forward to a happy and successful term working with you and your children.
We are continuing to promote our 6 learning attitudes. They aim to make the children successful learners and develop skills that will help them learn throughout their lives. Please ask your children which one they think they have demonstrated throughout the week. These 6 qualities are: Readiness, Resourcefulness, Resilience, Reflectiveness, Responsibility and Risk Taking. In addition to this the children are learning about ‘character muscles’. They are being encouraged to exercise these muscles as ways to enhance their learning.
PE – Indoor and Outdoor
This term’s PE is hockey. Your child will be required to bring a white t-shirt, black shorts or jogging bottoms and plimsolls/trainers every Monday although we encourage the children to have their kit in school all week. Please remove any jewellery from your child before they come into school on Monday. Even though PE is on Monday please send your child to school with sensible shoes for morning motivation.
We are pleased to see so many children looking smart in their school uniforms. Children need to wear a blue top, black or grey trousers/skirt and a white shirt/polo shirt – please avoid labels or badges other than Northfield!
Our behaviour strategy ‘It’s Good to be Green’ will continue. Teachers reward children with house points that are displayed in the classroom. When children reach various totals, badges are awarded and worn on a lanyard. Like last year, parents are invited to come and see their children get the badges in Friday morning assemblies. An invitation will be sent out when the children have earned their badges.
It is vital for your child’s education that they attend school regularly and promptly. If your child is absent please ring the school office to avoid us needing to telephone you as we now contact all parents if a child is not at registration. If you are planning a family holiday please make every effort to take this during school holidays. Please be aware that Leicester City Council will check attendance and may issue fines for unauthorised holidays. Please also remember to collect a holiday authorisation form for any holidays planned during term time.
We value your support and comments so do not hesitate to contact us if you have a concern. Send a note, talk to us on the playground or alternatively contact the office to arrange a meeting. Just a reminder that teaching begins at 8.50 so it is not possible to speak to any parent at this time unless it is urgent. We appreciate your continued co-operation.
In mathematics pupils will be learning to:
- Use partitioning
- Know about right angles
- Use a written column method to add amounts of money in pounds and pence
- Add numbers with up to three digits, using the efficient written methods of column addition:
- Adding 2 two-digit numbers (mental plus jottings)
- Multiplying and dividing using formal written methods
On a weekly basis children will have a times table test. If you would like to help your child at home, it would be really beneficial if you could practise mental maths strategies and times tables. Pupils will be concentrating on the 6x and 8x tables this term. They will still need to revise 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x and 10x
In English this term we are going to be reading:
- George’s Marvellous Medicine by Roald Dahl – a humorous novel about a boy who is terrorised by his Grandma
- Brother Eagle, Sister Sky – a beautiful picture book which illustrates the speech that Chief Seattle made to the American government when they were stealing land from the Native Americans.
- Your child has been given a username and password for this exciting initiative. The children are able to choose a book from school or an e book that they can read and then answer questions on to earn quiz points towards the class target.
- All English lessons will strive to include a variety of learning styles including drama, reading, grammar and comprehension practice.
Science: Forces and Magnets:
- This term we will be looking at pushes and pulls as forces and how these act on objects.
- Comparing how things move on different surfaces.
- Look at which materials are magnetic.
- Investigate the strength of magnets.
Please spend 10 minutes, as a minimum, reading with your child every day.’ Reading Logs ‘are expected to be completed, signed and brought in to school every day.
Pupils are expected to complete spelling homework in preparation for a weekly spelling test.
We also give out exciting ‘Grid homework’ for each new topic that will allow your child to be creative.
Maths Spotlight event: Thursday 25th January 2018
Parents Evenings: Wednesday 21st and Thursday 22nd February 2018
We look forward to a happy and productive term with you and your children.
Mrs Wren. Miss Modhwadia